Job Title: Director of Operations and Continuous Improvement
Plans, organizes, directs, controls, and coordinates the operational activities and resources necessary for manufacturing. These activities are to be performed in accordance with the highest standards of safety and quality, and provide the input and support necessary to achieve business objectives. Responsibilities cover the functions of Manufacturing, Process Engineering, Shipping and Receiving, Sourcing/Purchasing, Quality, Environmental, Scheduling, and Inventory Management. This professional will abide by the core values of the company and be a positive motivating influence in the organization. This professional will have an extensive understanding of lean manufacturing processes and have a "hands-on" role that will champion continuous improvement initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Creates and implements the long-term Operations strategy based upon best practices and standardized policies and procedures within functions.
2. Creates and monitors measurable key productivity indicators for Quality, Productivity, Cost and Safety and any other indicators which are critical to the success of manufacturing.
3. Actively engages in Lean Management by encouraging, teaching, participating in, and supporting the Lean Six Sigma culture and tools.
4. Manages the manufacturing staff and related functions at the facility to ensure production is timely and cost effective. Ensures balance is maintained across functions for proper execution of responsibilities in a professional environment.
5. Effectively interacts with cross-functional groups including sales and marketing, R&D, engineering and quality.
6. Supports new product transition for all new products in development, including early pilot builds, design for manufacturability recommendations, service strategies, etc.
7. Supports on-going safety program in the performance of all tasks and promotes safety in all areas of responsibility including roll out of enhanced initiatives (i.e. physical audits etc.)
8. Ensures the company is in compliance with all state and federal environmental regulations.
9. Ensures that production schedules are in accordance with company objectives and customer demands.
10. Reviews production operations, applying knowledge of production processes and methods, machine and equipment capabilities and staffing requirements, to produce quality products.
11. Reviews operating results as they affect production cost, making specific recommendations to result in cost reduction and profit improvement.
12. Establishes and implements related methods and procedures.
13. Ensures that all departments within responsibility are operating at peak performance.
14. Manages, develops, trains, coaches, and evaluates the members of the operations team. This includes conducting annual performance appraisals for all direct reports.
15. Provides advice and counsel to senior management regarding manufacturing.
16. Administers the capital budget process, including the development of annual capital plans and budgets, and execution of strategic capital projects in support of operations. Prepares and delivers presentations of capital plans and projects as required.
17. Establishes and administers the global asset
Education, Experience, Skills and Abilities Required for Consideration as a Candidate:
1. Bachelors Degree in Management, Engineering or related area.
2. Seven to ten years of experience in multi-product manufacturing setting working with chemicals, adhesives and/or coatings. Or, formulated products such as pharmaceuticals.
3. Must have minimum of three years supervisory experience
4. Must have experience working in small to mid-size companies in manufacturing capacity
5. Experience with Lean Six Sigma Black Belt and Lean Manufacturing required
6. Must be Black certified, or its equivalent
7. Must possess strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
8. Must demonstrate strong leadership skills.
Education, Experience, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
1. MBA or equivalent
2. Project Management Training
3. One to three years experience with ISO:9001
4. Willingness to travel away from home for more than one day